Chelsea’s Hope partners with Probably Genetic to identify Lafora disease patients
Chelsea’s Hope Lafora Children Research Fund is excited to announce our new collaboration with Probably Genetic as a patient-finding partner for our community. If you or anyone you know is looking for a trusted genetic testing resource, Probably Genetic runs a no-cost, low barrier testing program for individuals experiencing seizure and developmental delay-related disorders.
Read more on the Probably Genetic Partnership
Probably Genetic is a group of geneticists, engineers, and patients seeking to help people with rare diseases access genetic testing. The company has recently launched a no-cost genetic testing program for people with seizure or developmental delay-related disorders. Eligible individuals can receive whole exome sequencing at no cost. This testing analyzes all of the protein-coding regions of your DNA for disease-causing mutations.
We are looking forward to reducing the diagnostic odyssey of many patients through our Probably Genetic partnership.
Genetic Testing Eligibility
To participate, candidates must reside in the United States. Take a brief, easy-to-understand online quiz to determine your eligibility for the program. Also, caregivers, friends, or family members are encouraged to submit on behalf of their loved one if their loved one cannot complete the Symptom Checker without assistance.
How it works
- First, go to the Symptom Checker page on any internet-connected device. Answer the questions in their entirety. It should only take 5-10 minutes.
- The Probably Genetic team will thoroughly evaluate your Symptom Checker response to assess your eligibility. This typically occurs within one to two weeks.
- If you are eligible, you can claim your test, and the lab will send a kit right to your door. Collect a saliva sample and ship it back in the pre-paid box. We can also assist you in scheduling a USPS pick-up.
- Results are available in 6 to 8 weeks. This test shows all disease-causing mutations related to your reported symptoms, even those that are not seizure-related.
- You will have access to post-test genetic counseling with a board-certified genetic counselor if you qualify for testing. The genetic counseling sessions are virtual and are included at no cost to ensure you can make informed decisions and understand the results.
- View the status of your Symptom Checker submission and/or test kit through the patient portal. You can download a PDF copy of your genetic report, as well as a file containing your raw genetic data.
The Probably Genetic team is always open to feedback so the program is as successful as possible for the Lafora disease community!